Saturday 10 December 2011

Interview with Laura Hayden

I recently interviewed the beautiful, internationally ranked model, Laura Hayden! Laura is recognised worldwide as being a trendsetter with wonderful style. Here is the interview -

How did you get into the modeling industry?
When and why did you begin modeling? It happened accidentally! I’d loved fashion since I was a kid, but didn’t really consider working in fashion as an option until I was scouted. I’d just turned 15. I was at a Sunday family lunch at one of our favorite restaurants in Barcelona when Ilenia (who’d’ later turn into my first booker) handed me her card and asked me to give them a call. I realized modeling would be the perfect way of getting a good insight into the fashion industry whilst I was still at school.

How would you describe your style?
I love to combine black leather, boots & studs with slightly more feminine shirts, skirts & accessories.

What has been your favorite modeling experience so far?
I think you learn something from every shoot. Every shoot is special for one reason or another; or gives you something to remember from them. If I had to chose, I guess my favorite moment was the first time I modeled. It was an editorial shoot for a Spanish magazine. I don’t think I’ll ever forget what I felt when I was standing in front of the camera. You disconnect from the world for a bit…you get to reflect a bit on yourself.The fact that it is just you & the camera, allows you to spend a bit of time with yourself- where you can’t escape from yourself or distract yourself from a bit of reflection- because you are at work. I don’t really know how to describe it. I find that I can go to a photo shoot after having a bad day, and I’ll leave the shoot feeling happy, & much better. You have time to think about your life & problems, and figure out ways to sort it/them out…or realize they aren’t as bad as you thought. What is your most worn outfit in your wardrobe at the moment? My black American Apparel skirt combined with any black jumper/top/shirt I can find. I didn’t really like skirts until I found this one. Now it is like I am making up for lost time- I wear it ALL the time!

What inspired you to start your lovely blog?
I started it in 2009 with lovely model Heather Burton, in Tokyo. All we wanted to do was show our friends and family what we were up to in Japan. The blog began getting attention in Japan, Los Angeles (where Heather is from) and Spain. When I left Tokyo, I decided I would continue the blog and keep it as a sort of “diary”- where I could post videos & pictures, and write about hat I was doing. It was also my way of making fashion & models a bit more approachable…and a bit less scary.

What is your number one beauty or style tip?
Never traveling with any make-up on: on trains, cars, boats or airplanes. It is an unnecessary damage to your skin. I never wear any make-up when I travel, only moisturizer. Something I decided to try out very recently was tinted moisturizer: my skin has improved & I no longer wear foundation- it has become my new favorite thing.

Do you have any advice for budding models?
I’m only 22..so I know that there is still a lot for me to learn. What I have learned is that if you like fashion- modeling is the perfect chance to learn when you are still too young to work. Try and observe and take in as much as possible during shoots & shows…you never know when you may need it!





Visit Laura's blog and official website

Image Source: Laura Hayden Official






No comments:

Post a Comment